Data Deduplication: What It Is & Why You Need It
Over the past few weeks, we’ve spent a good amount of exploring data loss prevention – what it is, why it’s important, and the best tools to use to get the job done. Today, we’re going to talk about a different yet similar concept: data deduplication.
What Is Data Deduplication?
Data deduplication is a way to decrease an organization’s storage space by deleting extraneous files. It’s very common to unintentionally have duplicate copies of different types of data – and it’s easy for the number of duplications to grow the larger the organization.
Just take a look at the contacts folder on your cell phone – odds are you have multiple listings for the same people. Maybe you accidentally saved the contact twice, or maybe one file has certain information (a mobile number) while a different file has other information (a work email address). But they belong to the same contact – thus, unnecessary duplication.
Data deduplication does just what the name suggests – it removes the duplicate so you’re left with a more streamlined database and some extra storage.
Types of Data Deduplication
There are two main types of data deduplication:
- File-level: This is essentially the type of data deduplication in the phone contacts example. Two or more files exist; they’re either identical or extra copies containing similar information (think one file for the name Jane Smith and another for Jane M. Smith). File-level deduplication would address this issue.
- Block-level: A more robust form of deduplication occurs at the block-level. This type of deduplication removes duplicated blocks of data in non-identical files. As you can imagine, you free up more storage with block-level deduplication as opposed to file-level deduplication.
Why Is Data Deduplication Important?
As we explored above, needless duplications can make for a chaotic database and wasted storage space for your organization. Data deduplication can create a more efficient and organized work environment while cutting costs on storage space (and everything that goes along with maintaining massive storage systems, like electricity, maintenance, and so on).
Data Deduplication Technology
- DataSense crawls your data looking for keyword similarity, not just exact matches
- It identifies likely duplicate files in real time so you can swiftly deduplicate unnecessary data
- You can even ID keywords to ignore when processing for cleaner data and fewer false positives
Interested in a free demo? Contact us here to set one up today!